Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Gardening Saga Continues.....

Well, my first vegetable garden was doing well. I had surrounded it by an 8ft. mesh deer fence that several people have had success with in the past. But the lure of my veggies must have been too much. They broke in one night and ate every last tomato and corn cob. Yep, that was about 200 tomatoes and around 40 ears of corn. My heart just broke in two.

So, guess what will be in my letter to Santa Claus this Christmas? A permanent, sturdy and very high fence around my garden. I'll try again next spring.

In the meantime, here are some blooms that they haven't eaten yet.

My Easter lily bloomed twice this year:


And these sunflowers had bees all over them!


I need to give these babies a good shower with deer repellent. At least the deer won't eat my basil. I still have pesto to look forward to.

1 comment:

Etha said...

I'm so sorry you fed the deer :) One year I had these show kitchen lettuce in the garden. They were so pretty I even took a picture. Next day all I had left was stumps LOL....
The idea is to have enough stuff around that deer really like so that they don't have to eat your garden. I have two large crab apples that nobody wants but the deer love em! So that is where they usually hang out. But this year some caterpillars totally trashed my berry bushes, never did that before. Usually I share my abundance of dill with them, go figure....
There is always somebody that you will have to share with.